Thursday 16 January 2014

St. Adien's

So I went to St. Adien's school on Tuesday. It was different then I thought it would be, but not in a negative way. When I got to the school, I helped set up some math games on computers. And then I joined the staff devotions. It was weird not being a student. When the kids came I was in the math class, and they all called me 'Miss Taylor.' It was a little weird, but I got used to it. During the day I helped out with little things like handing out notebooks, and collecting assignments. And it was weird being the assistance teacher. I also helped kids with their math work, for the ones who didn't understand and that just need some attention. So I sat with a few kids. And the first one that I sat with was in grade 6. She was really quiet and she acted like she didn't know how to do the work, but when she was on task, she always got the answers right.
It was different to be working in a math class. I used to love math, but lately it just hasn't been my strongest subjects. But doing math that I already have done, and helping some kids do it, I felt that I was able to help them more than I thought that I could. When I noticed that I would be working in a math class, I was starting to worry because I thought that I might not get it myself, or that I would have a difficult time explaining it. But in the end, it was all good.
Like I said before, I didn't really think that becoming a mentor would be me teaching/ assisting kids. But maybe that is the way to break the ice, before I become a 'Big sister..' maybe this is how I'm going to figure out who I will click with, and how I will become familiar to them.
I am looking forward to next week, especially now that I know what I'm doing on these mornings.

No comments:

Post a Comment