Monday 9 December 2013

2nd time at Siloam


Siloam Mission, 300 Princess Street.
So this time, was much like the first time. Except instead of cutting chicken, I was cutting endless containers of onions!! The upside to this, is that these onions were nothing like the onions from my moms garden. They were way less strong. It still hurt my eyes a bit and made me cry, but not till I was done almost one whole bucket. If they were anything like my moms, I would be weeping by the second cut of the first one. :) But it was good.
Last time, their was half the amount of people that show up to get food. But this time, there was a lot. I was so happy that lots of people came to get food. In the food line, I again served crackers. Which were very very crumbly, I felt horrible for giving people crumbs, so after a while, I switched to croutons, and then soon ran out. We rummaged around the kitchen, and couldn't find anything at first. So I was back to handing out crumbs. But they were happy. So that made me happy. I said my hellos, and the people who come are so happy, it surprises me every time. How could someone who has nothing be so happy, so polite?
Another thing that I often forget is that when we go there, we all have to wear a hair net, or hat, an apron, and a name tag. I'll be standing in line, and someone will be like, 'Hello Taylor!' and my heart will sink, and I'll look at them and think, I HAVE NEVER SEEN YOU BEFORE!! and then be like oh.my.goodness. I am wearing a name tag. It's okay Taylor. I sure hope my shock doesn't show.
After each time I get to do something like this, I feel so excited about my project.

No comments:

Post a Comment